2.02.2011

A New Chapter

Soooo....in not too many days, I am turning 30.  Thirty.  3-0.  No matter how many ways I look at it, I am struck at the sight of that number.  Where have the years gone?  I mean how can my 20's be over?  And worse, do I LOOK 30?  I mean that used to seem real old when I was a bright-eyed college graduate at the age of 22.  


Although looking back, my teens and 20's were rather spectacular....like I don't know that I would change a single day of any of it and that is amazing.  Well, ok, one day...when I sold my sister's insanely awesome black, soft-top Jeep Wrangler after being entranced by my mom's words "new car" and opted instead for a red 240 SX.  Mistake.  I miss that rugged, wet-pool-hair-drying in the summer, snow-flying-in-through-the-top in the winter, ride to this day.


Anyhoo, about turning 30.  As you age in years and experiences, you know like working in the "real world", getting married, and now carrying, birthing and raising another human, you really begin to learn things about yourself.  Besides the revelations that I find unproductive meetings at a workplace offensive, and I grocery shop and wash dishes way too slow (drives husband crazy!), I have recognized that I am a Late Majority Adopter.  
Not to bore you to tears....the short story is a theory called Diffusion of Innovations which studies the spread and adoption of new ideas (here is a link if you want to rate yourself, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations) and is one of the many theories I happened to learn about in graduate school.  Basically, being a Late Majority Adopter, I am skeptical of new innovations and adopt them later than the majority of society.  This HAS to be linked to growing up in a house that modeled orange shag carpet from the year of its purchase, circa 1983, until it sold in 2000, never had more than basic cable, and a brown refrigerator that was in my parent's kitchen until last summer.  Well not anymore!  As I approach this age milestone, I am making an effort to join the world of social networking before I get too far behind.  And to be open to better understanding the tech world (I even joined the iPhone world!).  I mean let's face it, Ellison will be using a computer in Pre-School.  Now friends and family, consider this my alternative to Facebook, which I have never wanted to do.  This is more up my alley....creative, slower paced, and it doesn't require me to deny people who I really don't want to reconnect with but share with those I do!  


Or it's really a neat way for me to chronicle our life in thought and pictures in case I'm the only one who ever reads it.  :)


Oh!  And I thought these two quotes were inspirational for this next chapter......


"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty."  ~Henry Ford
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday."  ~Abraham Lincoln


So I'll be talking to everyone again soon!  This IS fun!  


XOXO

7 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!!! Love the background, the title, the writing....love it all! Love most of all that you are doing this. I might be more excited than you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it toooooo... sorry I just replied but I have been "offline" since yesterday. It is VERY pretty and looks just like you! I guess I should make a blog??? Maybe not to share but just for myself? I love the story about the jeep- and no cable. Funny! Maybe more funny for me since no one else will understand as much! LOVE IT!!!! Can't wait to see pictures (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Sar! Can't wait to keep up with E from afar! Aunt Brookey

    ReplyDelete
  4. adding it to my favorites! we will be out of town next weekend but we must celebrate the big 3-0 very soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to see some are getting mileage out of the family name; love the quotes - ?compatible with Late Majority Adopter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah! So excited you are doing this! Super cute layout, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the 240SX and the shag, both such a beauties. so glad to see you have finally made a jump into the social networking era, now post some pics of Ellison!

    ReplyDelete